Saturday, January 12, 2013

Review of Croak by Gina Daminco

Croak by Gina Damico


I've read very few books with reapers in them, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I immediately fell in love with the town of Croak. The unusual street and building names added a quirky element, and the witty retorts of the characters kept the pages turning.

Lex is a difficult teen who can't seem stay out of trouble. Her short fuse is easily ignited and she's prone to fighting and swearing. Having exhausted all efforts, her parents ship her off to spend the summer with her mysterious Uncle Mort. Lex immediately learns that she's not the toughest kid in town and adults aren't always passive.

Friendships bloom as she struggles to accept the duties of her new reaper job, and it doesn't take long before she realizes that there are far worse things in life than having a family that loves her.

It took me a while to warm up the author's style of writing, but once I did, I enjoyed it. The storyline is interesting, the humor is frequent, the world that the author created becomes believable, and the entire town of Croak makes me want to move there immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment